It has been over a month since I first saw my girlfriend take a small Hobby Lobby piper cub and run it into various forms of wooded plant life. To my amazement, the plane (and my girlfriend’s willingness to pick up another radio control) had somehow survived the first horrible crash and every crash since. Sure, the little cub has about a full two ounce glue bottle fused into it now, and every once in a while I remind her that nobody was “really” harmed in the crash, but it is still her that gets out there each time and puts herself behind those set of controls, regardless.
It wasn’t until the last time I went out with her that I saw a phenomenal difference in skill. Apparently, she had gone out with her Dad once without me and he had done some troubleshooting with the trim adjustments. When I saw the difference it made, I was astounded. She seemed to have COMPLETE control. How relieving that must be for her after all her flights before when we would tell her to “turn left… no, NO… Your other LEFT!” She was ecstatic when she saw herself really doing what she was attempting to do. We even tried some spot landing by marking a circle in the dew on the grass. She did excellent. That same day we let her fly the Wing Dragon as well and she demonstrated even better control. The larger wing surface gave her a bit more stability against the small gusts that would have otherwise given the other plane a bit of hassle. I am so excited to get her the J5 that is going to be released from Hobby Lobby soon. It should be the perfect plane to give her a decent transition into aileron flight!
Signup for Email Alerts!
Help Finding Something?
Recent Posts – “New Stuff”
- TELEMASTER History Rescued From a Storage Unit – The Story of Dr. Fox and his Treasures…
- A Drone For Christmas
- Mark Cleveland Honored at 2014 NEAT Awards
- 50 year old company is now 1 year as Hobby Express
- Amazing Compliment for Hobby Express “Entrepreneur Of The Year”
- Taking Breast Cancer Awareness To New Heights
What Hobbyists Have To Say
- John Boyens on New York Times – How Hobby Lobby International Resolved Its Trademark Dispute
- Walter Rau on Hobby Express story hits the New York Times
- New York Times – How Hobby Lobby International Resolved Its Trademark Dispute | Hobby Express Blog: Your Home For The Best R/C Topics, News, And Information On The Web on Hobby Express story hits the New York Times
- Rob on Hobby Express story hits the New York Times
- Don Tervo on Rockstar Drones
Categories Available To You
- All I want For Christmas (13)
- Heli Haven (R/C Helicopters) (27)
- Motors (1)
- R/C Models (81)
- Uncategorized (9)
- Wake Zone (R/C Boats) (8)
- Wild Wheels (R/C Cars) (21)
- Wing World (R/C Model Airplanes) (174)
Archives – “Old Stuff”